This wiki contains links and documentation for onsite SESYNC postdocs and staff. All research guides, discussion forum, and tutorials are available on cyberhelp.sesync.org.
- General Information
- Computing Resources
- Networking and VPN
- Phones, Voicemail and Conferencing
- E-mail and Calendaring
- File Shares
- Druva Backup System
- UMD Resources
SESYNC Account Information
Your SESYNC username and password is used to all services offered at SESYNC, including email, wireless networking, and any web portals
SESYNC Resources & Policies
- International Travel and Technology
- SESYNC and UMD Resource Use Policy
- Researcher/Postdoc Exit Procedures
- Visitor, Speaker, Candidate meal reimbursements
- Proposal and Application Archiving
- Power Outage Information
Public Desktop available in the open area. Guest laptops are also available upon requests. Please e-mail email@example.com to reserve a laptop.
- High-Powered Windows VM for Analytical Software
- Desktop and Laptop Policy
- Monthly Maintenance Window
- Windows Updates
- Mac OS-X Updates
- Using Microsoft Remote Desktop
Networking and VPN
SESYNC provides network services for both our onsite researchers and conference guests. Please note that SESYNC staff should connect to the sesync-secure wireless network in order to see printers and file shares. Our guest network is heavily firewalled and cannot directly connect to SESYNC services unless you use a VPN connection.
If you're offsite and need to connect to file shares, databases or other internal resources, you will need to open a VPN connection. Web-based services (rstudio.sesync.org, files.sesync.org, etc.) do not require a VPN connection.
SESYNC provides a number of printers around the center including a large multi-function copier/scanner/printer. If you notice a printer is out of paper, please refill it using the paper sitting in the front of the center by the fax machine.
- List of Printers at SESYNC
- Connect to a printer via Windows
- Connect to a printer via OSX
- Scan Documents and E-mail
Phones, Voicemail and Conferencing
SESYNC now uses Zoom Enterprise that is provided by the Division of IT from UMD. Each user can login to their individual Zoom accounts at https://umd.zoom.us/ and the desktop app can be found at https://umd.zoom.us/download. If a conference room is needed please email firstname.lastname@example.org in order to book a room and a member of the Business Office Staff can book it off.
SESYNC CI Staff have the same account access as any other staff member or postdoc. If Zoom webinar is needed for presentations to large numbers of people with a registration link provided, please contact Div IT 301.405.1500 | email@example.com
SESYNC IT staff have headsets and webcams that are available for use.
Phones and Voicemail
SESYNC IT staff provides phones to full time staff employees only. By default voicemails will be sent as an email attachment from 8x8. If you need to reset your voicemail passcode please email firstname.lastname@example.org
E-mail and Calendaring
SESYNC uses G Suite provided by campus with an @sesync.org email address alias. New employee email addresses will match their UMD Directory ID i.e email@example.com will also receive emails addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Check E-mail via browser
- Requesting E-mail addresses
- Internal mail lists
- Mail list management and policy
SESYNC provides several types of storage:
- Administrative file share (shares.sesync.org)
- Large pool of research storage (storage.research.sesync.org)
- Document storage is also available via Google Drive (https://drive.google.com/)
The administrative or SESYNC share primarily contains copies of policies, administrative data for groups, and ppt/poster templates. Official copies of all SESYNC policies and templates are available in the Center-Wide Documents, Policies, and Templates folder on the share.
Access the SESYNC Share
- Connect to Network Shares using Windows
- Connect to Network Shares using OSX
- How to quickly share a file with a SESYNC Colleague
Sharing files with External Collaborators
Accessing your research storage
- Documentation is available on our Cyberhelp Page
Druva Backup System
All laptops and desktops are backed up nightly using a service called Druva. We automatically install this on all SESYNC supported laptops and desktops, in addition, we also provide clients for your personal machines that are used for SESYNC work. We strongly encourage you to install the client on your personal machines if you have anything SESYNC-related that you care about.
Restore files using Druva restore
- Restore files from Druva via Website
- Restore files from Druva on Windows
- Restore files from Druva on OSX
Useful links to resources at the University of Maryland: